“The Heritage Commission of the City of Prince George is pleased to present an Historic Places Award to Sacred Heart School. The award will be presented twice on Saturday February 25th.
The first presentation will take place at noon at The Exploration Place. The plaque will be presented again that evening at the school’s annual gala fundraising event in the ballroom at the Ramada Hotel. The plaque will be accepted by the school principal, Sister Irene Baker, of the Sisters of St. Joseph religious community.
This award recognizes Sacred Heart School, situated in the city’s beautiful Millar Addition neighbourhood, as the oldest elementary school in Prince George. Planned and built in the late Forties, the school celebrated its official opening on October 30, 1949 – almost 63 years ago!
In the summer of 2011, the venerable old building’s exterior was freshly painted retaining its traditional colour but refreshed with bright blue trim around the windows. Situated on the promontory overlooking the city, the school is a familiar landmark on Patricia Boulevard at the northern entrance to the Millar Addition.”